A few weeks ago Marlene and I took the kids to the natural history museum. They had a temporary exhibit of butterflies that Zoe insisted we see. I complained about the extra charge of $3 per person, and even more when she wanted a basket where she could grow butterflies. A few days later Marlene sent for for the caterpillars and when they arrived in the mail we began watching them eat, spin silk, and finally build their cocoons. A few days later they came out of their coccoons as beautiful butterflies. Ironically they hatched right when my grandmother had the stroke. Zoe, however, insisted that we wait to release them for some reason. The reason may have been that she was able to release them at my grandma's funeral. It was a beautiful symbol and I know her "Grandma D" loved it!
As we said our goodbye's to Grandma yesterday, I realized that we will not just celebrate her life for a few days. Rather, she will always be in all that she touched and thus we will celebrate her life everyday.
I apologize for being out of commission for a bit. We have an exciting wedding tomorrow, and a new blog post from the wonderful wedding we did last weekend coming soon. Thank you all for the beautiful comments, cards, emails and telephone calls I received during this time. They are much appreciated.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
of celebrations and butterflies....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
That is so sweet. A perfect time for the butterflies to be released.
wow marlin that is so touching. we are so sorry for your loss my friend. blessings and prayers to you and yours.
Post a Comment