Eight years ago when they were just a young married couple of 52 years, I loaded up a Kodak Brownie with 120 film and recorded these lovebirds for a photo assignment. The assignment: define love in a series of photographs. With 52 years of marriage under their belt, Ted and Pat Proffit defined love for me. I remember dating Marlene and introducing her to them for the first time. They were watching a concert in the park while sitting in their car...together. Over the years I have asked them their secret to longevity and they always replied; "humility, the ability to say I am sorry, and lots of Love!"
While out and about last week, I was fortunate to run into Ted. We chatted a bit and caught up. It seems Pat had a bad fall and had a stroke and is now in an assisted living home. I could see the love and devotion in Ted's eyes as he informed me they would be celebrating their 60th anniversary today...together.
So in honor of their diamond anniversary, I poured over my old hard drive and found a few scanned images from their 2000 photo session. Thanks Ted and Pat, it's an honor to know both of you. I'll keep my humility, say I'm sorry and maintian that love so Marlene and I can celebrate our 60th in 2063. 

Photographers Note: Why a Brownie? The Brownie Hawkeye was very popular in the 50's. Think Canon SD series today! The Brownie took 620 film, but will accept modern 120 film with some modification and quirks like the light leaks. Essentially, I was trying to capture Ted and Pat with a camera that was available when they moved to La Mirada in 1957!
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Love Is.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That is so sweet Marlin! May we all find ourselves enjoying our 60th wedding anniversary. After so many years together, that is what I call true love.
that is so awesome! this post reminds me of my grandparents who've been together forever! rad post!
this brought tears to my eyes. Such a sweet story.
Post a Comment