Hello friends, we are Marlin and Marlene Munoz (and Ray and Zoe!) Please enjoy our latest work and please feel free to leave a comment!

Contact Info: website: www.marlinmunoz.com
email: studio@marlinmunoz.com
twitter: marlinmunoz
phone: 714.213.1716









Monday, September 24, 2007

The Most Rewarding Job...............

Of all the jobs I have had in my life, parenting has to be the most challenging. I definitely don’t look at it only as a job, but it does involve work. Yesterday Marlene and I met with Ray’s teacher, principal and other assorted individuals to update his Individualized Educational Program (IEP). Ray has ADHD. Marlene and I fought the idea of his disability for a long time. We did not want to entertain the fact that he needed special attention, medication and therapy. But we could not ignore the fact that he desperately needed help and it was starting to affect his self-esteem. We always want to give our children all the tools to succeed, so when my friend Darryl, whose child also has ADHD, suggested we try him on medication we tried it out. The results were no less than spectacular. After one week he was concentrating easier, doing better on his tests and just more confidant. It taught me that sometimes as parents you have to take risks and above all else admit that your children need help beyond your capabilities.

For his final year in elementary school he was tested again and he is doing well. Of course he is ten and would rather be at home playing XBOX 360, but he is coming along nicely. I think the thing I am most proud of is the fact that above all else, every single teacher tells us that he is the most caring, thoughtful child they have seen.

As I was leaving the school, I remembered the tiny three-year old in the back of Marlene’s car, waving to me the first time I met him. Marlene was so fearful of me meeting him and then leaving them, so I had to just show up one day and cement my presence into their life. We went to Toy’s R Us that night and I bought him the slinky dog from Toy Story. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship. He called me Marwin’s first, then pops and without prompting, Dad. I never told Marlene, but the first time he called me that it took me to tears. Ray is an amazing little man and I am so lucky to be his dad. Most people do not get to choose their children, but I knew with Marlene I had a package deal. With her came Ray and I could not have wanted both of them more!

Watch for Ray in the next year or two. He has a awesome eye and a love for photography, so on his 12th birthday he will officially become a member of the Marlin Munoz Photography team….well he will be carrying my bags, but you have to start somewhere! He assisted me with a shoot on Sunday and was a huge help. Here is with his rock star idol!

1 comment:

~ Jolene said...

that was such a great story Marlin! Ray is so lucky to have both of you as parents. I wish continued success to both of your children in school and everything else they encounter.